Bikepacking you will have heard of it, in recent years it has become increasingly popular and we know why. The freedom to go wherever you want. It is a confluence of cycling paired with camping. After all this is minimalist after all you need some gear for this. We'll take a look at this with you. To plan your bikepacking trip, first of all think about the bike. The choice of bike depends on which terrain you want to explore. Is it mainly on the road, gravel paths or are you looking for more adventure on singletracks? Each bike has its pros and cons.
We list the most obvious bikepacking bikes here
Marin Nicasio 2 - 700c Blue 2023
The Nicasio is for the rider looking for something different and modern, but with a traditional steel construction. Classic lines and CrMo frame tubes have the soul of a classic bike, with the geometry and 700C x 30mm-40mm or 650B x 47mm tyres to let riders handle any surface.
Marin Pine Mountain 2 - 29″ Black 2023
The Pine Mountain is a classic hardtail with steel frame and modern features, made for the convinced hardtail purist who seeks adventure and goes to extremes. extremely suitable weapon for the bikepacker.
However, you can actually use any bike with a bit of persistence as long as it has wheels. Still, a dedicated bikepacking bike has more options. Then we mainly look at mounting options for bags, luggage carriers, water bottle cages and comfort you are, after all, going to spend long distances and a lot of time on this bike.
Okay, now that you've chosen your bikepacking bike, it's time to look at the bike's lining.
Bikepacking bags and carriers. Important to choose is first to know what all you are going to take with you for your bikepacking trip. The most essential bags you will need are a saddle bag, frame bag and a handlebar bag.
Additionally, you can then go for a toptube bag and extra pockets for on your handlebars to store a water bottle, for example.
Below are some essential Bikepacking bags:
Restrap Handlebar bag Small 14L
Our handlebar bag is an ideal and hassle-free luggage solution for bikepacking, touring or commuting on road, gravel and mountain bikes. Without a luggage rack, fasteners or tools, the bag can be attached to any bike in seconds.
Restrap Race Stem Bag 1.1L
The Adventure Race Stem Bag offers a highly adjustable and accessible storage solution for food, technology, clothing and more. Multiple Hypalon MOLLE attachments and double-sided Velcro loops provide a huge range of attachment options.
Restrap Saddlebag 8L
Part of the #carryeverything series, our rackless saddle bag securely attaches to your seatpost for packing, touring or commuting. With no fixings or screws, the bag attaches to any bike in seconds.
Restrap Full Frame Bag Small 6L
With the Restrap Full Frame Bag, you can easily carry more luggage for comfortable bikepacking and touring. The bags come in three sizes, designed to fit most standard frames and geometries.
Now that you have chosen the right bikepacking bike, bikepacking bags and carriers, we can now start filling it with all the bikepacking.
- Snacks, food is now power.
- Cycling clothes, a good pair of chamois trousers is a must.
- Bike lights, for the last mile or the early hours.
- Bike lock, especially important if you're doing a solo trip, otherwise your bike buddy can always leave on your bike while you run errands.
- Bottle holders & drink cans.
- Repair kit, breakdowns can happen at any time so you better be prepared, tyre repair kit, tyre spoons a good multi-tool and a compact bike pump, spare tyre. If you ride tubeless, a trail pouch tubeless sealant is also always handy.
- Tent, it should weigh little and be compact a tunnel tent is a good choice for this.
- Sleeping bag & mat, a good night's sleep is important for an intensive trip on your bike.
- Lightweight cooker, for that essential cup of coffee in the morning and boiling water for your trekking meals.
- Trekking meals, adventure food just boil some water and put it in the bag and you're done packing little space and will give you enough carbs to continue your trek.
- Powerbank, for charging your mobile phone, GPS.
- Small first-aid bag, plasters and disinfectant.
- Spare clothes, stockings and underwear, an outfit to relax comfortably in at night. Slippers or other shoes.
Fidlock twist bottle 450ml - 590ml - 600ml - 800ml + Mounting
The TWIST water bottles are revolutionising the water bottle. Without the conventional bottle cage, this magnetic-mechanical bicycle bottle system offers a new kind of freedom in use and application.
Crankbrothers M20 multitool, Matt black
20 multi-tools made of high-tensile steel, including an integrated tool for plugging tyres.
Tyre plugs come with a storage case that can be mounted directly on the tool.
Foldylock compact bicycle lock
Hardened steel links, increase security to protect your bike. Weatherproof, metal parts are rustproof with UV-protected cover.
Crankbrothers Gem S pump incl Frame mount
Our lightweight gem pumps have a convertible head for Presta or Schrader valves, and a patented high volume/high pressure air switch.
Lezyne tyre repair patch kit
Traditional, reliable tyre repair kit.
Contains: 1x tyre patch, 1x rubber glue (7cc), 8x patches (6x round, 2x oval), 1x stainless scouring pad and tyre boot.
Now it's just loading up and starting the adventure. We wish you good luck and a safe journey.
If you want to see more of our bikepacking range, click the link below: